James Halliday - Wine Companion 2017- Red 5 stars
2013 Hanging Rock Jim Jim Macedon Ranges Chardonnay
The Macedon area has proven marginal in spots, and the Hanging Rock vineyards, with their lovely vista towards the Rock, are no exception. John Ellis thus elected to source additional grapes from various parts of Victoria to produce an interesting ans diverse range of varietals at different price points. In 2011 John's children Ruth & Robert returned to the fold: Robert has an oenology degree from Adelaide University, since then working as a flying winemaker in Champagne, Burgundy, Oregon and Stellenbosch. More recently he worked as winemaker at Hewitson, before coming back to Hanging Rock to take over winemaking responsibilites from father John. Ruth has a degree in wine marketing from Adelaide University. Exports to the UK, the US and other major markets.
- Jim Jim Macedon Ranges Chardonnay 2013: Wild-fermented in French oak (30% new), matured for 10 months. Pale straw-green; the very cool site and low yields result in a wine with intensity built into every facet of its flavour and texture. In turn the wine will outlive all but a small handful of '13 Australian Chardonnays. Screwcap. 13% alc.
Rating: 95. To: 2030 $40 (Printed in Red)
- Heathcote Shiraz 2012: A wine with a distinguished track record, and had a ball in the '12 vintage. Full to the brim with luscious black cherry, blackberry and blueberry fruits, mouthfilling and succulent. Best of all is the finely articulated and fresh finish. Screwcap. 14.3% alc.
Rating: 95. To 2037. $75 (Printed in Red)
- Cambrian Rise Heathcote Shiraz 2013: Matured in used French and American oak (50%/50%) for 18 months. The hue is still very youthful, spice and cracked pepper are first out of the blocks on the bouquet, the palate responding with savoury tannins wrapped around lively black fruits. Good stuff. Screwcap. 13.5% alc.
Rating 94 To 2033 $30 (good value red star)
- Macedon IX Late disgroged Brut Cuvee NV: A celebration of power and complexity of the '97 base vintage and reserves spanning a decade, all aged in old oak, followed by 16 years on lees in bottle. It's predictably savoury, toasty and secondary, with remarkable spicy complexity and even vegemite, culminating in a very long, dry finish laced with great lees texture. This is full-bodied Australian sparkling, ready for main course fare. Diam. 12% alc.
Rating: 94 To 2016 $115 TS
- Jim Jim Macedon Ranges Sauvignon Blanc 2015 Rating 93 To 2016 $30
- Macedon Cuvee XV NV Rating 92 to 2016 $50 TS
- Macedon Rose Brut NV Rating 92 to 2016 $30 TS
- Macedon Ranges Pinot Noir 2014 Rating 91 to 2024 $35
- Jim Jim Macedon Ranges Pinot Noir 2013 Rating 91 to 2023 $50