James Halliday - Wine Companion 2018- Red 5 stars
2016 Hanging Rock Jim Jim Sauvignon Blanc
The Macedon area has proven marginal in spots, and the Hanging Rock vineyards, with their lovely vista towards the Rock, are no exception. John Ellis thus elected to source additional grapes from various parts of Victoria to produce an interesting ans diverse range of varietals at different price points. In 2011 John's children Ruth & Robert returned to the fold: Robert has an oenology degree from Adelaide University, since then working as a flying winemaker in Champagne, Burgundy, Oregon and Stellenbosch. More recently he worked as winemaker at Hewitson, before coming back to Hanging Rock to take over winemaking responsibilites from father John. Ruth has a degree in wine marketing from Adelaide University. Exports to the UK, the US and other major markets.
- 2016 Jim Jim Sauvignon Blanc: Hand-picked over three dates, giving flavour complexity. 10% barrel fermentation adds more to a sauvignon blanc of considerable stature. The mouthfeel has a very good texture, the flavours ranging from cut grass to passionfruit and ultimately a slash of citrus ptih, zest and juice. Screwcap.Alc 13.2% Drink by: 2019 Price $30.00 Rating: 95 points (5 stars) (good value red star)
- 2014 Jim Jim Macedon Ranges Pinot Noir: Bright, light crimson; clear varietal character from the opening whiff through to the finish; vibrant red and purple fruits rising to expand on the back-palate and aftertaste. Lovely pinot with years in front of it. Screwcap. Alc 13.4% Drink by 2021. Price: $50.00. Rating: 95 points (5 stars)
2014 Cambrian Rise Heathcote Shiraz: Blended from several vineyards, and has lucious red and black berry fruits in abundance, the style achieved with three decades of experience. Ripe tannins and oak provide balance and texture to a hedonistic wine. Screwcap. 14.5% alc.
Rating 94 To 2034 $30 (good value red star)
- 2006 Heathcote Shiraz Reserve: Good colour for age; the complex bouquet has ribbons of black fruits, earth, spice and oak; the palate adds licorice and an element of lifted acidity, but otherwise follows the lead of the bouquet. Diam. Alc. 14.5% Drink by 2026. Price: $105.Rating: 94 points: (5 stars)
- Heathcote Shiraz 2013 Rating 93 To 2033 $75
- Macedon Cuvee VIII Late Disgorged NV Rating 93 to 2022 $115 TS
- The Jim Jim Three Macedon Ranges Riesling Pinot Gris Gewurztraminer 2016 Rating 92 to 2026 $30
- Macedon Ranges Pinot Noir 2015 Rating 90 to 2021 $35
- Macedon Ranges Brut NV Rating 90 to 2017 $35 TS